Sunday, February 11, 2007

Suttum Vizhi Sudar, Bharatiyar and love.

Like most Indian languages, Tamil too lends itself beautifully to metaphors that give vernacular Indian poetry that ethereal quality. Not that I am an expert on vernacular languages, poetry of any kind or English but IMHO some very profound expressions come out sounding much better in the vernacular. But then it could be because my mother tongue ( so to speak ) is not English.


Bharathiyar's style has always fascinated me. It is simplistic, so even tamil duds like me can, not only understand but fully appreciate it, even while being filled with the most beautiful of metaphors ( now cliched , thanks to unimaginative tamil movie lyricists) . What sets it apart, however, is the consistent passion and optimism. While known most for his patriotic poems, I think his poems on social issues ( such as manathil urudhi vendum ) and the ones on various Hindu gods and God in general (ettanai kodi inbam) are really well done. Of all kinds, however, I like his love poems the best . ( I can see all the eye rolls so cut it :) )


This post chooses to elaborate on one of my two favorites, Suttum vizhi Sudar, the other one being Chinnanjiru kiliye. Kannamma is a recurrent theme in these poems, sometimes lover, sometimes child, sometimes companion.

This poem illustrates passion so unabashedly, it makes one want to fall that much in love with someone. I was of the thought that Indian culture and how it conditions us, keeps us from expressing fully how we feel about someone. While we have no issues expressing feelings of hatred we almost never vocalise or even accept to ourselves how much we love someone. I have found, half way around the world, that this seems true in America too.
What keeps us from expressing that passion? Are we afraid? Conditioned ? or simply incapable?

Analysis apart, here's a crude line to line translation of the poem. I just wish my poetry skills were a little better , to do a little justice to , what according to me is one of the greatest love poems ever. ( yeah, better than neruda even :))

Suttum vizhi sudar than Kannamma
Suriye chandiraro?
Vattakkariye vizhi - Kannamma!
Vanakkarumai kollo?

Your gaze has the brightness of the sun and moon
Your eyes reflect (*) the darkness of the skies


Pattu karuneela - pudavai
Padhittha nalviram
Natta nadunisiyil - Therium
Natchathirangalladi!

The diamonds on your dark silk saree,
show me the stars in broad daylight. (*)


Solai malaroliyo -Unathu
Sundarapunnagai than?
Neela kadalalaiye - Unathu
Nenjin alaigaladi !
Kolak kuyil oosai - Unathu
Kuralin inimaiyadi!
Valai kumariyadi - Kannamma
Maruvak kadhal kondain.

Your smile is the bloom of the garden,
Your heart, the waves of the sea,
Your voice , sweet like the koel's
My love longs for union, Kannamma

Sathiram pesugirai - Kannamma
Sathiram yedhukkadi?
Athiram kondavarke - Kannamma
Sathiram undodi!

You talk of Rules, Kannamma
What rules do paramours (*) follow?


Moothavar sammadhiyil - Vadhuvai
Muraigal pinbhu saivom
Kathiruppenodi! - Ithupar

Elders , marriage and rituals can wait,
Can I ? Come now,

Kannatthu muttham ondru!

Let me kiss you.

(*)
changed after expert opinion although the expert disagrees with the translation to paramour, and thinks it should have been rational people , reflecting on Bharatiyar's call for rage/ anger/ passion in almost all his poems. Anger / Rage in the positive sense of bringing about change and opposing meaningless traditions , superstitious beliefs and of course, oppression.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The so called "expert" is proud of you and is glad that compared to the various translations available online, yours comes closest to what Mahakavi probably wanted to convey (IHHO)!

Yo-YoMa!

Anonymous said...

I hope you heard the song "Suttum vizhi" from the tamil(tamizh?) movie "Kandukondein kandukondein". That song introduced me to Bharathiyar's poems. Thereafter, I have been trying to get my hands on his poems. Of all that I had come across till now, this one I feel is the loveliest.Thanks for reminding us of this lovely poem.

M. said...

@ yo-yoma

Your efforts and interest in making this lowly mortal blog the bes tare appreciated and acknowledged with deep gratitude [:)]
I am done using every word I remember from the GRE list.

@pravallika

Yes the kandukondein- hariharan version is really good. One more version, you may want to hear is that by Bombay Jayashree available on musicindiaonline.com. Thanks for stopping by!

Eroteme said...

You might be interested in http://bharathiyaar.blogspot.com/

Iceknight/Spicetruck (Nari) said...

Great write-up, recently I had the good chance to hear hariharan sing live!

test said...

Your efforts are rewarded

Unknown said...

En Nenjai Thottu Vittai Bharathi!
via this post!
thanks a lot!

if you dont mind, please send me all our Beloved bharathiar songs @
vivekraj@live.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this translation
This is one of the most beautiful poems i have ever heard. Especially when sung by Hariharan with AR Rahmans music direction.
I am sure Bharathiyar would have been touched by it.

Karthick said...

Hey Man good Job!! Loved it!! This poem has absolute universal appeal!!

KANMANI said...

this poem does not only reflet mahakavi barathi's pure love..bt it also shows how barathi described his beloved with the nature... his respect toward his beloved and his eternal love should be remebered by all of us till our death...

Deepiguna said...

"Sathiram pesugirai - Kannamma
Sathiram yedhukkadi?
Athiram kondavarke - Kannamma
Sathiram undodi!
" touching lyrics

Unknown said...

Hello!

My name is Rajvi, and I am doing a little college document on this particular poem. I would like to use your translation fo rthose who do not understand Tamil.

Will you be okay with that? Also, Can you email me your name? so that I can include it in the credits?

Thank you very much! Umm, it would be great if you get back to me asap! I'm hoping to print it tomorrow! :(

Poornima said...

Aathiram kondavarke - paramours is an agreeable translation. However the colloquial use in that part of TN is "those with (vested) interest". So here it means " are those who have such deep interest in each other really governed by the rules of society"

Poornima said...

Aathiram kondavarke - paramours is an agreeable translation. However the colloquial use in that part of TN is "those with (vested) interest". So here it means " are those who have such deep interest in each other really governed by the rules of society"

Poornima said...

Aathiram kondavarke - paramours is an agreeable translation. However the colloquial use in that part of TN is "those with (vested) interest". So here it means " are those who have such deep interest in each other really governed by the rules of society"

Anonymous said...

Hariharan and Bombay Jayshree are not the only singers to have sang this immortal song. MKT sang this song in Puthu Vazhvu in 1957.