Tuesday, May 10, 2005

sonnet CXXX

While some people are going to roll their eyes when they see this..........I cant help it......I am the incurable romantic..:)

My Mistress' Eyes are Nothing Like the Sun

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red:
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound.
I grant I never saw a goddess go:
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.

And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

One of my favorite sonnets by the bard, the other being sonnet 143.I love this one for how aptly it captures how normal people feel about love. So is anyone perfect? and how many people are lucky enough (?) to find a perfect lover? then again, isnt perfection in itself subjective?
A friend once told me a story about a boy who wanted to marry this girl. The girl's father agrees to the match upon the condition that the boy find the tallest tree in the forest near the village. The boy having gone in comes upon the a really tall tree but goes on further to find a taller one. After a few days he is still in the forest, having lost his way, and still looking for the tallest tree.
So what makes two people commit to a relationship? The belief that they have found the tallest tree? or that this is the first tall tree they saw? What happens to people like the boy in the story? do they ever find their tall tree?

5 comments:

Vetti Guy said...

Those who get what they want are generally the most disappointed.From my personal experience,I can say that I lose interest as soon as I get whatever I want.

Not sure if it is true for everyone though.

sensiblystoned said...

Yes, to an extent the belief that you have found the tallest tree plays an important role. If not you nurture the tree to grow to be the biggest. Likewise, you should learn to nurture love, feed it and encourage it to grow. All love does not happen as they show in movies. At times you need to work hard at being in love and at other times you needn't.

M. said...

@mystic
True about losing insterest when you get something in some cases 'cos I think most of the time the fun is in the search.
However, I dont think it applies to everything...:)

@ss
I like how you put you need to word hard at being in love

m. said...

youre right : "some people" DID roll their eyes!
shudder shudder! ;-)

M. said...

@srivats
The tree talk is exclusively for ppl who do end up cimmitting to a relationship..... trust me landing in a place with no trees or without enthu is the best thing that can happen to someone...:)
@m
:P someday you will be in some situation like this and I will be standing there and saying i-told-you-so